Saturday, November 10, 2007

St. Joseph and Divine Filiation

Our faith is anchored in the awesome reality that God is truly our father and that he loves us and contemplates us as a real father. It is the foundation of our faith and our Christian vocation.


However, for some this reality is difficult to grasp. I wrestled with this truth my whole life.


You see, Our Father understands human nature very well, so he reveals himself slowly to us. His initial step is to give us a set of parents, both mother and father, who reflect His paternity and maternity. A child learns trust, complete abandonment, and love from both parents. He understands the firm love of a father and the gentle love of a mother and benefits from both. However, that was not my case…


My father left my mother when I was around 12 years old. I was the oldest of 4 children at that time. The marriage ended and so did his fatherhood. He had ceased to be involved in our lives. He failed to give support of any kind even financial support. So, my mother in her early 30s was alone. She raised all 4 children, supported us through school, etc. It was a tough job for her and it took a toll on all of us. It is not a secret that children are damaged by their parents’ separation.


I learned to cope all these years. I became very self-reliant. I grappled with control issues. I had to be strong because failure was not an option. When, I matured in years and re-discovered my faith, God had to slowly make me realize that he is the Father, he wants me to be happy, I have to have total confidence in Him, there is no reason for anxiety, and everything will work out for the good. I had difficulty grasping these things, since they were all very unfamiliar to me.


In time, God gave me a human father in the figure of St. Joseph, so through this amazing saint, I began to slowly understand what God wants and who God is. My awareness of St. Joseph started when I was putting together documents for my wedding. It struck me that I was baptized in St. Joseph’s Church in Mabolo, Cebu City. I grew up in Tagbilaran City, which is under the patronage of St. Joseph. In fact, our famous fiesta falls on the 1st of May, the Feast of St. Joseph the Worker. I was set to be married in St. Joseph’s Church in the town of Kiangan, Ifugao. The town celebrates its fiesta on the 1st of May, as well. It was too much of a coincidence to be ignored. Therefore, I began invoking St. Joseph’s help for all kinds of favors. This blog is an attempt to put together all those favors received through him. Thinking about it, I realized that I took up my masters’ in Canada, whose special patron is also St. Joseph.


Everyday, I continue to ask for the grace living Divine Filiation well, of course with the help of Our Lady and St. Joseph.

No comments: